Tallinn Children’s Choir, the predecessor of Ellerhein Girls’ Choir, was created in 1952 by Professor Heino Kaljuste (1925-1989), who conducted and developed the choir until the end of his days. Since 1970, Tiia-Ester Loitme started to work with the choir as second conductor and she was head conductor of the choir from 1989 to 2012. The choir was renamed Ellerhein in 1969, on the 100th anniversary of the Estonian Song Festivals. Over the years, Ellerhein has become a choral studio, which includes Ellerhein Preparation Choir, Ellerhein Children’s Choir and Ellerhein Girls’ Choir. Apart from giving concerts, all singers receive training in vocal, solfeggio, and harmony classes. The choir uses the relative Kodaly system when learning new repertoire.
In June 2012, Ellerhein celebrated its 60th birthday with a grandiose concert in Estonia Concert Hall.
Since 2012, the position of head conductor is held by Ingrid Kõrvits. Ülle Sander is the choirmaster and solfeggio teacher, Vilja Sliževski the vocal pedagogue, and Sten Heinoja the pianist of the choir.
The choir’s repertoire consists of both classical and contemporary choral music by outstanding composers from all over the world.
Ellerhein has been successful in many international choral competitions. In spring 2012, the choir took part in the International Choral Competition “Ave Verum“ in Baden, Austria and received Second Prize Gold Level. In April 2013, the choir obtained II place in the youth choirs’ category and Ingrid Kõrvits received the prize for Best Conductor at the International Choral Competition “Tallinn 2013”. In July 2013, the choir took part in the 31st International Choral Competition of Cantonigros in Spain where they won III prize in the female choirs’ category and II prize in the folk music category. After the festival the choir gave several concerts in Andorra, Madrid, and Burgos thanks to the Estonian Embassy in Spain. In September 2013, the choir took part in the festival Choral Crossroads in Limassol, Cyprus.
Girls Choir Ellerhein is collective of The Tallinn Hobbu Centre Kullo.